Choir / Cantors
The mission of the St. Francis Xavier choir ministry is to enrich, inspire, comfort and motivate the worshiping community through sacred songs as an expression of faith, spirituality and devotion and lead the congregation in the participation of the Mass.
- Choir membership is open to anyone high school age or older.
- Choir sings at the 11:00 am Sunday Mass beginning after Labor Day through the Easter Season and for other liturgical events.
- Rehearsals are held on Wednesday evenings from 7:30 pm to 9:00 pm and Sunday at 10:00 am
The role of the cantor is to lead the congregation in sacred song. Other duties include the sung introduction and verses of the responsorial psalm as well as the sung introduction and verse of the gospel acclamation. Also required is the announcement of song numbers throughout the Mass.
- The cantor should have basic musical and vocal training to the extent of being able to read music notation, match relative pitch, and consistently demonstrate good diction.
- The cantor should have the ability and willingness to take musical and liturgical direction from the Director of Music.
- An audition conducted by the Director of Music is required.